Kyle R Flik, MDOrthopedic Surgeon in Albany, Clifton Park and Latham, NY
Medical Director at OrthoNY’s ambulatory surgery center, Dr. Flik was the first surgeon in the Capital Region board certified in both Orthopedics and Orthopedic Sports Medicine Surgery. He was also the first and currently only full active member voted into the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, an international organization of leading shoulder specialists.
121 Everett Road
Albany, NY 12205
1768 Route 9
Clifton Park, NY 12065
711 Troy-Schenectady Road
Suite 111, Latham, NY 12110
Dr. Flik treats all shoulder conditions including arthroscopic rotator cuff or labrum repairs, and total or reverse shoulder replacements. He is an arthroscopic specialist for knee conditions including ligament and meniscus tears, cartilage problems, and other sports injuries. A former professional athlete himself, Dr. Flik served as assistant team physician for the Chicago White Sox and Chicago Bulls while a fellow at the prestigious sports medicine program at Rush University. He also trained as a resident at the esteemed Hospital for Special Surgery in New York.
Dr. Flik currently serves as team physician for the Albany Firewolves professional lacrosse team, and has also recently taken care of the Albany Empire arena football team, Albany Buzz World Team Tennis and the Albany Patroons Basketball Club.
Dr. Flik joined OrthoNY in 2005.
Education And Background:
Dr. Flik graduated from Dartmouth College where he earned 8 varsity letters as a member of both Division 1 ice hockey and lacrosse teams. Before starting medical school at the University of Vermont, he further pursued his athletic interests by playing professional ice hockey in Europe. Dr. Flik attended the Hospital for Special Surgery, long considered one of the top orthopedic training hospitals in the country. His interest in sports medicine led him to Rush University where he completed a fellowship and served as assistant team physician for the Chicago White Sox (MLB), Chicago Bulls (NBA), and Chicago Rush (Arena Football League). Since coming to the Capital Region, Dr. Flik has been named team physician for three professional organizations, the Albany Patroons and Legends (CBA), the Albany Buzz (World Team Tennis) and the Albany Empire (AFL).
Dr. Flik’s practice involves all aspects of shoulder surgery and sports medicine. He was the first surgeon in the Capital Region to hold a board certification in sports medicine. His surgical practice focuses primarily on the following:
- Arthroscopic rotator cuff repairs
- Arthroscopic or complex open shoulder stabilizations
- Total or reverse shoulder replacements
- Knee arthroscopy and ligament reconstructions
- Cartilage and meniscus repairs
Dr. Flik is the author of over a dozen journal manuscripts, orthopedic textbook chapters, and technique papers that review various topics in sports medicine. He reviews publications for the American Journal of Sports Medicine, and the Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. Dr. Flik has trained and taught many residents and fellows during his career. Dr. Flik is a member of the American Orthopedic Society of Sports Medicine, American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons, and the New England Shoulder and Elbow Society. Dr. Flik is the Medical Director of OrthoNY Ambulatory Surgery Center-Albany.
Dr. Flik enjoys spending time with his wife and four children. He likes to travel, run, ski, and play hockey, tennis, and golf.
You can follow Dr. Flik on Instagram at dr_kyleflik
University of Vermont School of Medicine
New York Presbyterian Hospital Cornell Medical Center
Hospital for Special Surgery
Sports medicine fellowship at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago
- ASES (American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons)
- AOSSM (American Orthopaedic Society for Sport Medicine)
- NESES (New England Shoulder and Elbow Society)
- AAOS (American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons)
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Sub-specialty certification in Sports Medicine
- OrthoNY Ambulatory Surgery Center – Albany (formerly Executive Woods Ambulatory Surgery Center)
- St. Peter’s Hospital
- Albany Memorial Hospital
- Samaritan Hospital
- Dr. Flik was recently appointed Team Physician for the Albany Firewolves lacrosse club.
- Complete Rupture of Large Tendons
- Rotator Cuff Tear: Arthroscopic Treatment
- Surgical Treatment Of Osteochondritis Dissecans
- Pearls and Pitfalls Graft Harvest for ACL Reconstruction
- Improvement in the Undertreatment of Osteoporosis
- Locked knee during Pregnancy
- Orthopaedic Trauma in the Pregnant Patient
- Atraumatic Compartment Syndrome of the Dorsal Compartment of the Upper Arm
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction Using an Endoscopic Technique With Patellar Tendon Autograft
- American Collegiate Mens Ice Hockey Injuries
- ACL Reconstruction using a Two-Incision Technique
- Undertreatment of Osteoporosis Following Hip Fracture
- Achilles Tendon Repair
- Oronato & Miller Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwoTN6MGerU
Dr. Kyle R Flik’s Rehabilitation Protocols
- Posterior Shoulder Stabilization
- Distal Biceps Tendon Repair
- Massive Rotator Cuff Tear
- Pec Major Repair
- Rotator Cuff Tear
- Shoulder Arthroscopy
- Multi-Directional Shoulder Stabilization
- SLAP/Labral Repair
- Arthroscopic/Open Stabilization Rehabilitation Guidelines
- Total Shoulder Arthroplasty